Tuesday, August 3, 2010

It's All About Stopping to Smell the Roses

I must pass through 99 Great Russell St (the main study center entrance) at least five times a day to go to class, visit Elvis/Kenny and to access my flat during late night hours (if you believe that late night begins at 10 PM, ridiculous). But, how often do I pay attention to my beautiful and historical surroundings? Once. Twice, if you count just now. At the very beginning of this program, I noticed the beautiful mural on the ceiling of the study center, the height of which spans two floors. I took a photo of it back then, but then proceeded to completely forget about the thing. During a conversation with Elvis just now, I found out that the mural is over 250 years old. That's older than the United States!

The beauty of the mural made be wonder about the residents who commissioned it. It is quite amazing to wander around a city such as this where every third building contains a plaque with the information for an individual who lived in said building and is worth mentioning. Apparently, back in the day, Topham Beauclerk and his wife resided at 99 Great Russell St and after some quick googling, I discovered that he was the great-grandson of King Charles II. Pretty impressive stuff, huh? So every day as I walk through 99, my feet land on the ancient footsteps of royals, or close to it at least. Wow, I'm practically famous.

No comments:

Post a Comment